Wednesday, May 8, 2019

Hungry Mother State Park - Marion, VA

After a very busy spring, we are out for a short trip.  In planning the trip, I realized it fell on Mother’s Day week.  There are traditions that must be observed, and one of those is First Landing State Park for Mother’s Day eve, with blue sky’s, no bugs, and comfortable temperatures.  Seems reasonable.  So it’s fly fishing in the Smoky Mountains and beach-combing on the Chesapeake.

Having been here before, we know that the sweet spot of this park is the creek.  We have a picture perfect spot right on the water.  Our camp-hosts followed us in on  their ATV...apparently it’s fun to watch RV’s back into trees...sorry to disappoint (I have an awesome spotter!).  As a reward for my backing skills, I got to buy some firewood.

After dinner, I went out and laid the fire with a “Dragon in a Box.”  As I come out of the RV with butane lighter, our site neighbor was standing by our fire pit with a large branch and an even bigger smile.  Clearly, he was going to teach me how to start a fire.  Wait a minute...someome is going to teach ME how to light a fire...calmly, I reholstered my butane lighter, and explained the finer points of RVing...  we never, ever use kindling.  I explained this to him, gave him a “Dragon in a Box” sample and sent him off.  Then lit our DIAB and within a minute had a lovely fire. We even had marshmallows...

Tomorrow, off to the Great Smokey Mountains!

No comments:

Post a Comment