Friday, May 10, 2019

Elkmont Campground - Great Smokey Mountains NP (2 nights)

Three years ago, I decided that I no longer wanted to say fly fishing is something I did.  I wanted to say fly fishing is something I DO!  But whenever I try to go fishing, something comes up.  This year, we made a concerted effort.  A day and a half of fly fishing and hiking and fly fishing.  My casting ability has gone from a D- to a B+.  I got to try out my new waders that I bought two years ago.  They kept me completely dry, except for when I fell in.  I didn’t catch anything, but that’s not really the point.

The Elkmont Campground, which is very close to exactly where I wanted to go fishing, is the largest  campground in the Smokey Mountains,  which means that it has the absolute best people watching potential on the east coast.  Our site neighbors encouraged the entire campground to gather at our site for a photo opportunity of a four high nest of hammocks.  We were anticipating a domino catastrophe but in reality nothing exciting at all happened.

Besides the fishing we did a nice little six mile hike with a substantial uphill component.  Our first real hike of the year.  Needless to say nite-nite Time was very early.

Tomorrow off to Smith Mountain Lake State Park.

No comments:

Post a Comment