Thursday, June 23, 2016

Stone State Park - Sioux City, IA

To get to our destination, we had to go west on I-80 which I had driven a dozen times between

 Pennsylvania and San Francisco...I always wanted to stop at the "scenic outlook" in Iowa...it seems like an oxymoron.  Well, we had the time, so we stopped...yup...an oxymoron!

After I had booked reservations at Lewis & Clark State Park, right on the Missouri River, the rains washed the site away, so the Iowa Dept of Natural Resources let me book someplace else, and so it was, just a place half way between where we were and where we gotta be.

In Iowa, you don't expect to be in the woods on the side of a mountain.  Well, it may not be a mountain by Colorado standards, but it was a first gear, windy road kind of trip.  We are tucked well into the woods, and all the trees are mitigating the 95 degree heat.  Our first night without A/C since Kentucky!

No comments:

Post a Comment